Lanterns Trailer Reappears With August 16 Release Date — Then Gets Yanked Again

Lanterns Trailer Reappears With August 16 Release Date — Then Gets Yanked Again

A new Lanterns trailer has surfaced online, and it appears to reveal a specific August 16 release date for the HBO series.

The catch? It still isn’t up on the official HBO Max, DC, or Warner Bros. channels.

The latest version of the trailer is making the rounds through a DCU fan account on X, after fans noticed what appears to be a revised upload. According to discussion on Reddit, the trailer was briefly released through DC’s official channel before being pulled again.

As of now, the YouTube link shows the video as private.

New Lanterns trailer includes August 16 date

The biggest detail in the new Lanterns trailer is the August 16 release date.

The previous official teaser only promoted an August release window for the series. This new version appears to narrow that down, pointing to Lanterns arriving August 16 on HBO Max.

That said, until HBO, DC, or Warner Bros. puts the trailer back up through an official channel, the date should still be treated as unofficial or at least unconfirmed.

Update: James Gunn has released a new image confirming the release date, yet still no trailer.

Trailer appears to swap out Bruce Springsteen song

Another interesting change is the music.

The original Lanterns teaser used a remix of Bruce Springsteen’s “State Trooper.” The new trailer appears to replace that track with music that sounds more like a piece of the show’s score.

That immediately raises a possible explanation for why the original teaser disappeared from official channels in the first place.

It’s possible HBO pulled the trailer because of a licensing or rights issue involving the Bruce Springsteen track. That would also explain why a revised version would surface with different music.

However, that is only a guess for now.

James Gunn’s original post featuring the trailer never came down, which makes the situation even stranger.

Gunn’s version stayed up

One odd part of the story is that James Gunn’s social media post promoting the teaser remained available.

That matters because Gunn has previously said HBO is in charge of marketing for the series. So if the trailer was pulled by HBO, DC, or Warner Bros. for music, marketing, or rollout reasons, Gunn’s post staying live only adds to the confusion.

It could mean the takedown was tied specifically to YouTube or official studio/platform uploads. It could also mean the issue was never serious enough to require a full removal across all social platforms.

Again, no official explanation has been given.

About Matt McGloin

Matt McGloin is the editor-in-chief and publisher of Cosmic Book News, the independent entertainment news site he founded in 2008. He covers movies, comics, TV, video games and pop culture and has reported major industry scoops over the years, including revealing the Avengers: Endgame title ahead of its official announcement. Through Cosmic Book News, he helped Marvel Comics promote Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova through exclusive previews, artwork, and interviews, with the site also quoted in solicitations and on comic covers. He also reported on Marvel’s Daredevil: Born Again retooling before it was later confirmed by the trades.

Recommended

DCU Lanterns Showrunner Confirms Two Timelines, Backing Up Hal Jordan Past Theory
DCU Lanterns Showrunner Confirms Two Timelines, Backing Up Hal Jordan Past Theory
Man of Tomorrow Set Images Reveal Nicholas Hoult, Frank Grillo, James Gunn and More
Man of Tomorrow Set Images Reveal Nicholas Hoult, Frank Grillo, James Gunn and More
Milly Alcock Spotted In Atlanta As Sinqua Walls Joins James Gunn’s Man of Tomorrow
Milly Alcock Spotted In Atlanta As Sinqua Walls Joins James Gunn’s Man of Tomorrow
DC Studios, Warner Bros. Animation Reveal First Looks Ahead Of Annecy
DC Studios, Warner Bros. Animation Reveal First Looks Ahead Of Annecy
James Gunn Staying At DC? New Rumor Clashes With Insider Claims
James Gunn Staying At DC? New Rumor Clashes With Insider Claims
DC’s Bane And Deathstroke Movie Eyes Greg Mottola As Director
DC’s Bane And Deathstroke Movie Eyes Greg Mottola As Director