Disney Deciding What To Do With Princess Leia Following Carrie Fisher Death

Disney Deciding What To Do With Princess Leia Following Carrie Fisher Death

Last week saw Carrie Fisher pass away as a result of a heart attack.

Details are now learned about the future of Princess Leia in the upcoming Star Wars Episode VIII and IX movies as Disney needs to decide what to do with the character.

THR reports at least two key scenes are planned for the movies with a Leia reunion with Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a confrontation with Kylo Ren over the death of Han Solo. It’s noted it is unclear where the scenes fit in to the two movies (or even if Carrie Fisher shot them as filming on Episode VIII is complete). It is said Carrie Fisher was to actually have a larger role as Leia in Star Wars: Episode IX than Episode VIII.

Colin Trevorrow, who is co-writing and directing Star Wars: Episode IX, is said to be meeting with LucasFilm’s Kathleen Kennedy next week to discuss options for Princess Leia, which could range anywhere from cutting the character’s screen/story time to using a different actress or even going the route of Star Wars: Rogue One and using CGI.

Another report has also mentioned that Disney could net around $50 million as a result of the death of Carrie Fisher – set to be the largest single personal accident insurance claim payout ever – as Disney took out an insurance policy in the event Carrie Fisher was unable to fulfill her three-film Star Wars contract.

Carrie Fisher has also been cremated and some of her ashes will be buried along with her mother, Debbie Reynolds, who passed away shortly after the death of her daughter.

“Star Wars: Episode VIII” has a December 15, 2017 release, with “Episode IX” due out May 24, 2019 and expected to start filming next year. 

About Matt McGloin

Matt McGloin is the editor-in-chief and publisher of Cosmic Book News, the independent entertainment news site he founded in 2008. He covers movies, comics, TV, video games and pop culture and has reported major industry scoops over the years, including revealing the Avengers: Endgame title ahead of its official announcement. Through Cosmic Book News, he helped Marvel Comics promote Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova through exclusive previews, artwork, and interviews, with the site also quoted in solicitations and on comic covers. He also reported on Marvel’s Daredevil: Born Again retooling before it was later confirmed by the trades.

Recommended

Supergirl Needs $425 Million Box Office To Be Considered A Win?
Supergirl Needs $425 Million Box Office To Be Considered A Win?
James Gunn Confirms Milly Alcock Is Back For ‘Man of Tomorrow’
James Gunn Confirms Milly Alcock Is Back For ‘Man of Tomorrow’
The Batman: Part II First Set Footage Reveals Gotham Police Scene In Liverpool
The Batman: Part II First Set Footage Reveals Gotham Police Scene In Liverpool
King Conan Shoot Set For 2027 With Arnold Schwarzenegger and Christopher McQuarrie
King Conan Shoot Set For 2027 With Arnold Schwarzenegger and Christopher McQuarrie
Superman Wasn’t the DCU Home Run James Gunn Needed (Report)
Superman Wasn’t the DCU Home Run James Gunn Needed (Report)
Zack Snyder Thanks Henry Cavill For Helping Make Justice League Snyder Cut Happen
Zack Snyder Thanks Henry Cavill For Helping Make Justice League Snyder Cut Happen