By: Chris "DOC" Bushley
This weekly¬†feature¬†will¬†take a look¬†at THE most visually compelling¬†comic¬†book¬†covers¬†on¬†the¬†market¬†today. Whether they be rare variant editions or just your standard fare, these are¬†the top¬†5¬†covers¬†that¬†stand¬†out amidst the bevy of books released each week.¬†They say, "A¬†picture¬†is worth¬†a thousand words" ¬†but these¬†covers¬†are worth more than that! No matter the storylines behind them, these¬†covers¬†compel you to at least¬†check¬†them out, which can be worth exponentially more than just words to¬†the companies¬†that publish them! Enjoy!
1. ¬†Avengers #25 - Variant Edition - (Marvel): Alex Ross is known throughout the comics field as the man that started the "realistic" comic cover. Covers that depict such high detail that Ross' characters seem as though they are true to life. Well, this cover is one of the best ones I have seen as of yet! Classic Avengers characters adorn every inch of this cover! Ross' layout is superb and the colors give it that nostalgic feel of Kirby and Lee at their very best. Simply superb!
2. ¬†Bravest Warriors #16 - Variant Edition - (KaBoom/Boom! Studios): I thought this cover was a perfect example of the Manga Pop craze that is hitting the nation. Mike Holmes gives this cover a brilliant art deco background while placing the Japanese style central character slightly askew in the forefront. This is a great amalgam of art styles and proves that you don't need super heroes in tights to make a cool cover!
3. ¬†Batman #27 (DC): Greg Capullo is no stranger to creating horrific images in comics, but this cover will certainly draw some attention away from the other books on the rack this week! Bleak in color and tone, this cover will create a vortex for the eye, singling it out amid the myriad of Technicolor laden books. Plus, the central image is so disproportionate and deranged it makes you wonder if this is a cover for Batman or Crossed! Fantastic line work and a great use of dark tones make this one a must have for Bat fans!
4. ¬†Eternal Warrior #4 - Variant Edition - (Valiant): This is an amazing watercolor cover, by the ever versatile David Mack, that I need to get a copy of! Perfect use of line and color off set each other in this masterpiece. The broad water color strokes in the background give it a subtle look while the foreground captures the essence of the main character perfectly. It is a truly beautiful cover for such a brutal character but Mack pulls it off with ease!
5. Harley Quinn #2 (DC): This cover has everything you would expect in a Harley book! Animals, chaos, blood?, a love note to Joker and of course, a beautiful central figure that is more than off her rocker! Amanda Conner captures the pure essence of Harley with this single, multi-faceted image and fans are going to love it. Highly detailed lines and a vibrant color palette make this cover pop off of the stands and would make an exquisite poster to boot! People who say Amanda Conner can only draw "hot babes" need to check out this cover that proves her talent far exceeds their low expectations!