Guardians of the Galaxy 3 Could Be Delayed

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 Could Be Delayed

With the recent firing of James Gunn, it was thought that Disney would need to move forward quickly on getting a replacement director for Guardians of the Galaxy 3 as filming was supposed to start early next year for its 2020 release.

However, now it is being reported that Disney is in no hurry and feels no pressure to quickly act on Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Variety recently wrote a report stating that Disney is unlikely to rehire James Gunn with the article giving an update on the status of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, which includes mention that Disney hasn’t met with anyone to replace Gunn as of yet.

According to the article, Disney is in no hurry because Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was originally supposed to start filming February 2019, with it noted that if Disney can’t find a director, they may push back the start of filming as the movie doesn’t have an official release date and was expected to hit theaters in the next two years (Marvel Studios has untitled films to be released May 1,2020 and November 6, 2020).

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

While some fans have recommended Thor: Ragnarok‘s Taika Waititi or Infinity Wars‘ the Russo brothers to replace Gunn, the article notes they may be busy with other projects (ditto for Jon Favreau), so Disney is likely to look outside of Marvel for an A-lister to replace Gunn with the same “kind of offbeat sensibility to handle the comic-book franchise.”

It has even been speculated that some of the actors might drop out of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, but according to the article, Disney believes the actors will show up for future MCU installments, regardless of their personal feelings about Gunn. It’s said most of the actors are under contract and would face legal action if they decided not to show.

It has also been previously reported that if a new director is brought on board, the script which Gunn recently turned into Marvel, may need to be tweaked, which could add to the delays as well.

About Matt McGloin

Matt McGloin is the editor-in-chief and publisher of Cosmic Book News, the independent entertainment news site he founded in 2008. He covers movies, comics, TV, video games and pop culture and has reported major industry scoops over the years, including revealing the Avengers: Endgame title ahead of its official announcement. Through Cosmic Book News, he helped Marvel Comics promote Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova through exclusive previews, artwork, and interviews, with the site also quoted in solicitations and on comic covers. He also reported on Marvel’s Daredevil: Born Again retooling before it was later confirmed by the trades.

Recommended

Supergirl Needs $425 Million Box Office To Be Considered A Win?
Supergirl Needs $425 Million Box Office To Be Considered A Win?
James Gunn Confirms Milly Alcock Is Back For ‘Man of Tomorrow’
James Gunn Confirms Milly Alcock Is Back For ‘Man of Tomorrow’
Superman Wasn’t the DCU Home Run James Gunn Needed (Report)
Superman Wasn’t the DCU Home Run James Gunn Needed (Report)
‘Supergirl’ Attacks Fans Again As Box Office Red Flags Grow
‘Supergirl’ Attacks Fans Again As Box Office Red Flags Grow
James Gunn Says Marvel Firing Changed His Life, Jokes About Batman Casting
James Gunn Says Marvel Firing Changed His Life, Jokes About Batman Casting
Lanterns Season 2 Gets New Writer As Lindelof, King Step Back
Lanterns Season 2 Gets New Writer As Lindelof, King Step Back