Jared Leto is reportedly not thrilled with Masters of the Universe, and Amazon MGM appears to be keeping the actor’s involvement low-key ahead of the movie’s June 5 release.
According to Puck News, Leto did not attend Monday’s big premiere for Amazon MGM’s summer tentpole. He also skipped the studio’s CinemaCon presentation, is not booked for major talk show appearances, and has not posted anything about the movie to his 11.4 million Instagram followers.
Puck says one source claimed Leto “wasn’t thrilled with the film.”
Leto plays Skeletor in Masters of the Universe opposite Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man. The movie reportedly carries a massive $175 million budget.

Jared Leto Missing From Masters of the Universe Promotion
Puck points out Leto’s absence is notable for a few reasons.
He is by far the biggest name attached to the movie, which makes his lack of promotion stand out. Leto is also nearly unrecognizable in the film behind a CGI mask as Skeletor, meaning much of his value to the production would come from helping market the movie.
Puck also reports Amazon paid Leto more than $5 million for the role, which the outlet says would presumably include promotion.
Despite all of that, Leto has not been seen pushing Masters of the Universe in the usual ways studios expect from a major star attached to a summer release.

Amazon May Be Downplaying Jared Leto
Puck also suggests Amazon may have its own reasons for downplaying Leto’s role in the film.
The report notes recent allegations against Leto, which he denies, as well as Tron: Ares bombing last year. Amazon declined to comment to Puck, while Leto’s rep did not respond.
The situation creates an odd promotional problem for Masters of the Universe. Leto is playing the main villain and its biggest star, but the studio does not appear to be putting him front and center before release.

Masters of the Universe Faces Big Expectations
Masters of the Universe is another major swing for Amazon MGM as the studio tries to turn the Mattel property into a big-screen franchise.
The movie stars Nicholas Galitzine as Prince Adam / He-Man, with Leto as Skeletor. The cast also includes Camila Mendes as Teela, Idris Elba as Man-at-Arms, Alison Brie as Evil-Lyn, and Morena Baccarin as The Sorceress.
With a reported $175 million budget, the film will need a strong theatrical run to justify the cost.
Leto’s reported lack of enthusiasm adds another wrinkle to the release, especially with Skeletor usually seen as one of the most important parts of the He-Man brand.
For now, Amazon MGM is moving ahead without much visible help from its biggest name.
Masters of the Universe opens June 6th.
