With Mark Strong starring as the villain of the upcoming Shazam! movie, the actor shares details on what his Sinestro would have been like in a Green Lantern 2, if ever it got made.
You know, my version of Sinestro I think is going to be rebooted, as they say. No doubt when the new Green Lantern comes out, which I think they’re doing. But as I said and I mean it, I felt really... it was a little interrupted. Because Sinestro was going to go into the second movie and become the yellow Sinestro that we know and love, and cause havoc. It got cut short by the fact that they never made a second movie of that particular incarnation of Green Lantern and Sinestro. But thankfully, I’ve now got a chance to... maybe 'exercise my evil credentials' with Doctor Sivana.
Mark Strong starred as Sinestro in the 2011 Green Lantern movie that featured Ryan Reynolds as the titular character. The post-credit scene featured Mark Strong donning a yellow ring teasing his full villain potential. Prior to caving at the box office, a Green Lantern trilogy was planned.
Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green were said to have written a treatment for Green Lantern 2, which was rewritten by Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Green Lantern scribe Michael Goldenberg featuring the sequel mostly set in space with Hal Jordan and Sinestro.
Years ago we were told the following details about Green Lantern 2:
• Most of the film is set in space.
• At the start of the film, Hal Jordan and Sinestro are paired to stop an intergalactic serial killer, Arkillo, who Sinestro later frees to join his Corps and restore order to the universe.
• Sinestro's decision to leave the Corps is mainly due to his distrust of the Guardians and the fact he feels that the universe laughs at the Green Lanterns. Sinestro feels that a new Corps should replace them.
• Sinestro visits Warworld to recruit members to his new Corps.
• Sinestro frees Amon Sur and recruits him to his new Corps.
• There is a reference to Amon Sur's previous attempt to destroy the Corps, which happened in Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters.
• Carol Ferris is kidnapped by Sinestro to draw Hal Jordan to him.
• Hal Jordan requests that the Guardians deploy the entire Corps to Korugar to rescue Carol and defeat Sinestro's Corps, but they deny his request. He subsequently makes a plea to the Corps via transmission of his ring. Several hundred respond and encounter Sinestro's fledging Corps in a battle above Korugar.
• Hal, Kilowog and Tomar-Re use the large battle taking place above Korugar as a distraction to sneak to the surface of the planet to rescue Carol. There, they are confronted by Sinestro, Arkillo and Amon Sur. Hal and Sinestro evenly match each other, while Kilowog defeats Arkillo, and Tomar-Re defeats Amon Sur before they rescue Carol.
• The battle between the two Corps ends with the Sinestro Corps retreating due to the majority having little experience with the ring.
• There is a foreshadowing to the third film with a discussion by the Guardians mentioning that a "War of Light" is coming.
• Following, Tron: Legacy, Joseph Kosinski was wanted to direct.
(quote above via Screen Rant)