Game Of Thrones Creators Talk Canceled Star Wars

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have '3 Body Problem' at Netflix.

Game Of Thrones Creator Talk Canceled Star Wars

Game of Thrones series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss open up and talk for the first time about their canceled Star Wars movie.

Following Game of Thrones, the pair were supposed to do a Star Wars movie at Disney and Lucasfilm, but the flick ended up not happening and David Benioff and D.B. Weiss signed a mega deal with Netflix.

Part of that Netflix deal includes the new sci-fi series 3 Body Problem with Alexander Woo, so when promoting the release of the show, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss opened up about Star Wars with THR.

3 body problem poster netflix
3 Body Problem poster – Netflix

The First Jedi

“We wanted to do The First Jedi,” Benioff revealed “Basically how the Jedi Order came to be, why it came to be, the first lightsaber …” 

Rian Johnson also happens to be their friend and is producing 3 Body Problem.

“And we were annoyed as hell when [Rian Johnson, the duo’s longtime friend and 3BP producer] called his movie The Last Jedi,” Weiss said dryly. “He completely destroyed the obvious title for what we were working on.” 

Interestingly enough, when asked what went wrong, they reveal their Star Wars sounds a lot like what James Mangold is now doing.

“[Lucasfilm] ended up not wanting to do a First Jedi story. We had a very specific story idea in mind, and ultimately they decided they didn’t want to do that. And we totally get it. It’s their company and their IP, but we weren’t the droids they were looking for,” said Benioff.

The article also notes “their overall concept still might happen — last year, Lucasfilm announced a movie titled Dawn of the Jedi from director James Mangold” (and worth a mention is that Mangold retooled Indiana Jones 5 for Lucasfilm as well).

3 Body Problem premiers on Netflix on March 21. Watch the trailer here.

About The Author