Doctor Who Season 3 In Question Amid Ncuti Gatwa’s Comments Getting Yanked

Doctor Who Season 3 In Question Amid Ncuti Gatwa’s Comments Getting Yanked

Ncuti Gatwa recently appeared on the UK’s The Graham Norton Show where the actor confirmed Doctor Who Season 3 is happening.

On Thursday, Ncuti Gatwa recorded the show and said, “We did the second series this year, the Christmas special is coming up, and we are filming a third series next year.”

Various sites ran with the news even though Gatwa’s comments didn’t line with either the BBC or showrunner Russell T Davies. Hey, maybe Gatwa let the cat out of the bag early. It happens.

However, once The Graham Norton Show actually aired, Gatwa’s comments were edited to remove any mention of Doctor Who Season 3: “We finished the second season earlier this year, we’ve got the Christmas episode coming out … at Christmas … But it’s been amazing.”

ncuti gatwa doctor who

So what happened?

Well, according to Deadline – and I find it hilarious – the site is trying to say the BBC didn’t get involved. Deadline actually says “The Graham Norton Show made the edit to liven up Gatwa’s answer.”

Huh? Liven up the answer? LOL. Gatwa dropping the news that Doctor Who Season 3 is happening when it hasn’t been announced is BIG news. Removing his Doctor Who Season 3 comments is hardly “liven up Gatwa’s answer” — if anything, it’s the opposite. Likely, either the BBC did get involved or after the news came out, Davies or Gatwa’s PR team got involved, is my guess.

What’s also funny is the BBC told Deadline that Doctor Who Season 3 isn’t guaranteed.

“As we’ve said previously, the decision on season three will be made after season two transmits and as always we don’t comment on speculation,” a spokesperson told the site.

Russel T Davies has also said the same in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine: “The decision to commission Season 3 won’t be made until after Season 2 has transmitted. And that’s always been the deal since the start.”

Why hasn’t Doctor Who been renewed for Season 3?

We don’t know why Doctor Who hasn’t been renewed for Season 3, but it could be because the new series is a complete ratings disaster, the worst ratings in the show’s entire 60-year history.

The future of Doctor Who on Disney+ is also in doubt amid the show bombing on the streamer.

About Matt McGloin

Matt McGloin is the editor-in-chief and publisher of Cosmic Book News, the independent entertainment news site he founded in 2008. He covers movies, comics, TV, video games and pop culture and has reported major industry scoops over the years, including revealing the Avengers: Endgame title ahead of its official announcement. Through Cosmic Book News, he helped Marvel Comics promote Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova through exclusive previews, artwork, and interviews, with the site also quoted in solicitations and on comic covers. He also reported on Marvel’s Daredevil: Born Again retooling before it was later confirmed by the trades.

Recommended

Ncuti Gatwa Jokes Only ‘About 12’ People Watched Him In Doctor Who
Ncuti Gatwa Jokes Only ‘About 12’ People Watched Him In Doctor Who
Doctor Who Gets New Streaming Home On AMC+ In June
Doctor Who Gets New Streaming Home On AMC+ In June
Peter Capaldi Doesn’t Know Why Fans Take Doctor Who ‘So Seriously’
Peter Capaldi Doesn’t Know Why Fans Take Doctor Who ‘So Seriously’
The Boys Finale Kills Off ‘Elon Musk’ Again
The Boys Finale Kills Off ‘Elon Musk’ Again
Vought Rising Trailer Leaks Online From The Boys Series Finale
Vought Rising Trailer Leaks Online From The Boys Series Finale
The Boys Final Episode Review: Predictable, Political, But Satisfying Enough
The Boys Final Episode Review: Predictable, Political, But Satisfying Enough