Black Panther tops a billion dollars at the box office!
Disney let it be known that Black Panther will pass a billion dollars as of today, which makes it the fifth Marvel Studios to do so joining The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3 and Captain America: Civil War.
The billion dollar number is a huge number for Black Panther as I don't think anyone expected it to be that big. I know I didn't.
Black Panther hitting the billion dollar mark also shatters any thought that a minority can't headline a big Hollywood movie and most likely paves the way for future movies of similar content (credit to Wonder Woman as well).
Marvel Studios Kevin Feige has also let it be known they are working on Black Panther 2.
I'm happy for all the Black Panther fans out there.
Black Panther has a current U.S. gross of $530,851,601, with its international gross passing $500 million today.
Look for Black Panther and supporting characters in The Avengers: Infinity War this April 27th, which is more than likely Marvel Studios' sixth billion dollar blockbuster.
Facts for Black Panther include:
- Took 26 days to hit a billion dollars
- 33rd movie to cross the billion dollar mark
- 16th Disney movie to reach a billion dollars
- #3 comic book adaptation
- #1 superhero origin movie
- #2 MCU movie
- #2 movie of the past 365 days
- Best single day Monday gross
- Best opening weekend in February
- Best President's Day Holiday 4-day weekend
- 97% on Rotten Tomatoes