Wow, this is bad news as Neill Blomkamp will not be directing the new RoboCop movie that has been in development.
Blomkamp tweeted out the news early last night.
"Off Robocop. I am shooting new horror/thriller and MGM can’t wait/ need to shoot Robocop now. Excited to watch it in theaters with other fans," Blomkamp said.
A fan commented, "Awww d-mn I was looking forward to your take on it!" which saw Blomkamp respond, "Same."
A reason wasn't given why Neill Blomkamp left RoboCop, but more than likely, we can speculate it was due to "creative differences."
Off Robocop. I am shooting new horror/thriller and MGM can’t wait/ need to shoot Robocop now. Excited to watch it in theaters with other fans. N— Neill Blomkamp (@NeillBlomkamp) August 15, 2019
Neill Blomkamp off RoboCop is disappointing
Just this past June saw Neill Blomkamp confirm that he was bringing back the original suit, too, as the movie is (or was) supposed to be a sequel to the original 1987 film, and similar to the recent Halloween and the new Terminator 6, would ignore any of the sequels. Blomkamp also said he wanted original actor Peter Weller back.
Blomkamp even said the script was being written and everything was going well, so we see that within the last couple of months things went sour for some reason.
What a bummer.
Details for the new RoboCop also include that it is not associated with the recent flick starring Joel Kinnaman and that it is based on a script written previously by original RoboCop writers Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner who are also supposed to be on board as executive producers and who have also been said to be actively involved.
According to IMDb, the title for the film is "RoboCop Returns." No release date, cast or new director has been announced as of yet.