National Treasure 3 Reportedly In Development: Will Nicolas Cage Return?

National Treasure 3 Reportedly In Development: Will Nicolas Cage Return?

After years of rumors, National Treasure 3 is said to be finally happening. That’s according to scooper Daniel Richtman (Daniel RPK), who reports that the long-awaited sequel is in development at Disney.

This marks the biggest update yet for the franchise since 2007’s National Treasure: Book of Secrets. Fans have waited nearly two decades for a third movie, but Disney has been slow to move forward, until now, apparently.

nicolas cage national treasure

What does the rumor say?

The rumor doesn’t offer much other than Daniel RPK claims that National Treasure 3 is in development. The scooper doesn’t get everything right, but making a claim that National Treasure 3 is happening at Disney is pretty big, so it could very well be legit.

Will Nicolas Cage Return?

The big question is whether Nicolas Cage will return as treasure hunter Benjamin Gates. Cage has been skeptical in the past. Last year, he flat-out denied a third movie was happening, saying Disney was focused on the Edge of History TV show instead.

But producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Jon Turteltaub have remained hopeful. Both previously said they had a script in the works and wanted to bring back Cage and the original cast.

Per what Bruckheimer has said in the past, once the script is finished, it will be sent to Cage to see if he’s interested. So far, no word on Cage’s involvement.

“Well, we hope there’s a National Treasure 3. We’ve been working on it for quite a while,” said Bruckheimer last year. “We have a brilliant writer working on it right now, so hopefully, if we get a script in a timely fashion, we’ll send it to Nic [Cage] and, if he likes it, we’ll make another one. We certainly would like to.”

national treasure nicolas cage movie

Franchise History & What’s Next

Disney tried to revive the franchise in 2022 with the National Treasure: Edge of History Disney+ series, but it only lasted one season. Screenwriter Ted Elliott confirmed the series is still canon and hinted the next movie would bring changes and expand Riley’s character.

With National Treasure 3 said to finally be in active development, all eyes are on Disney and Bruckheimer to deliver a script, and on Nicolas Cage to see if he’ll say yes.

For the full story on the years of development, check out our earlier article here.

About Matt McGloin

Matt McGloin is the editor-in-chief and publisher of Cosmic Book News, the independent entertainment news site he founded in 2008. He covers movies, comics, TV, video games and pop culture and has reported major industry scoops over the years, including revealing the Avengers: Endgame title ahead of its official announcement. Through Cosmic Book News, he helped Marvel Comics promote Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova through exclusive previews, artwork, and interviews, with the site also quoted in solicitations and on comic covers. He also reported on Marvel’s Daredevil: Born Again retooling before it was later confirmed by the trades.

Recommended

The Mandalorian And Grogu Box Office Underperforming As Star Wars Worries Grow
The Mandalorian And Grogu Box Office Underperforming As Star Wars Worries Grow
James Gunn Says Marvel Firing Changed His Life, Jokes About Batman Casting
James Gunn Says Marvel Firing Changed His Life, Jokes About Batman Casting
Spider-Noir Final Trailer Released: Nicolas Cage Series Arrives May 27
Spider-Noir Final Trailer Released: Nicolas Cage Series Arrives May 27
The Mandalorian & Grogu Reviews Go Rotten In Bad Sign For Disney’s Star Wars Comeback
The Mandalorian & Grogu Reviews Go Rotten In Bad Sign For Disney’s Star Wars Comeback
The Mandalorian & Grogu Accused Of Fake Pedro Pascal Star Wars PR Stunt
The Mandalorian & Grogu Accused Of Fake Pedro Pascal Star Wars PR Stunt
Marvel Comics Rocked Again As Dan Buckley Exits, Brad Winderbaum Takes Control
Marvel Comics Rocked Again As Dan Buckley Exits, Brad Winderbaum Takes Control