The Golden Globes award is getting a new redesign for their 76th ceremony, with a promo released that can be watched above.
Full details can be found below.
The 76th Annual Golden Globe Awards air LIVE coast to coast on Sunday, Jan. 6, 2019 from 5-8 p.m. PT/8-11 p.m. ET on NBC from The Beverly Hilton with hosts Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg.
THE HOLLYWOOD FOREIGN PRESS ASSOCIATION’S GOLDEN GLOBE AWARD REDESIGN FEATURES STATE OF THE ART DIGITAL INTEGRATION
THE 76TH ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS WILL TAKE PLACE ON JANUARY 6, 2019
LOS ANGELES – January 4, 2019 – The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) recently unveiled the new, sleek redesigned Golden Globe Award trophy which will be first introduced at the 76th Annual Golden Globe® Awards. Fans will be able to see the new award being handed out at Hollywood’s Party of the Year® airing live coast to coast on Sunday, Jan. 6, 2019 from 5-8 p.m. PT/8-11 p.m. ET on NBC in Los Angeles with hosts Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg.
The designers of the award, R/GA, created a spectacular 24 carat gold-plated design, retaining the heritage and history of the previous iconic Golden Globe with wrapped filmstrip accolade married with modern touches. The most innovative aspect of the award is the addition of an NFC component in each award which will showcase such information as the name of the winner, the category and the year it was bestowed upon them, ensuring each award is unique and authentic.
New updates include:
- Inclusion of digital element for proof of authenticity.
- Enlarged size: last year's edition was 10.75 inches tall with a base width of 3.5 inches, while this year's trophy is 11.5 inches tall with a base width of 3.75 inches.
- All gold award, instead of marble base; R/GA also designed a marble version to be used for the Cecil B. deMille award and Carol Burnett awards celebrating lifetime achievement.
- Change of the final finish of the gold to 24ct brushed gold.
- Cylindrical base of the award, rather than cuboid - therefore improving ergonomics to ensure that winners do not obstruct the golden globe when holding the award.
- Emphasis of the HFPA logo featured under the trophy, which until now has not been easily visible on stage.
- The new trophy consists of zinc, brass and bronze and weighs 7.8 pounds, 2.3 pounds more than last year's trophy.
“The new Golden Globe Award was designed with purpose and intent. We evaluated how the award has been historically presented, shown, and used at the event and reconfigured a cylindrical, more ergonomic base, which is easier to hold with one hand,” said Lars Hansson, VP Executive Creative Director. He added, “The choice of material and the increased scale was incorporated as a celebration of the award itself, and as a nod to the HFPA which deserves more prominence as the organization responsible for the accolade. The hidden technology, which uses similar security protocols as credit cards and contactless payment, was designed for HFPA in collaboration with Digiseq, and will allow HFPA to verify the true authenticity and recipient of the award should it ever be in question.”
The design process was a true collaboration with the HFPA, R/GA and 3D modeling partner File2Fab, as well as production partners with RS Owens, and Digiseq, a R/GA Ventures company.
Produced by dick clark productions in association with the HFPA, the Golden Globe Awards are viewed in more than 210 territories worldwide. Meher Tatna is president of the HFPA. Allen Shapiro, Executive Chairman of dick clark productions, Mike Mahan, CEO of dick clark productions, and Barry Adelman, Executive VP of Television at dick clark productions will serve as executive producers.