The image was first seen in the latest issue of Empire Magazine which has a short write-up on Thor 2 with producer Craig Kyle.
The article gives us some plot details for the movie in regards to Asgard as well as the timeline for Thor 2 in comparison to the first movie and The Avengers, in addition to the reveal that The Marauders will appear.
Though the sequel is titled "The Dark World," producer Crag Kyle promises there will be fun as he states, "Like an Indiana Jones, while there's high stakes, high threat and high danger, there's always fun," with Empire Magazine continuing with a swipe at the J.J. Abrams directed Star Trek into Darkness, "despite all outward signs, this is not a sequel that is completely going, ahem, 'into darkness.'"
Kyle then goes on to state that Thor is Marvel Studios' "science-fiction epic" and "until Guardians of the Galaxy hits, by far our most wild, fringe Marvel piece. But that's why it's the Marvel Universe and not Marvel Earth!"
Some of the plot spoilers included are (my thoughts in parenthesis):
• The Thor side of the Marvel Universe will be significantly expanded (i.e. Nine Realms/space is what I am guessing)
• Thor 2 is set one year after The Avengers movie and two years after the first
• Asgard will be "battered" by war
• The Nine Realms will be "beset" by The Marauders, that are described as being a "rag-tag" bunch (interesting as the Guardians of the Galaxy are also considered rag-tag)
• This is the perfect time for Malekith and the Dark Elves to attack
• Malekith is described wearing "Gigeresque body armor" and is set "to return and wreck devastating revenge"
• Thor is a full-time general
Regarding The Marauders, it's interesting that Marvel Studios is using them as they are usually considered part of the X-Men universe (which Fox Studios owns); they are mutants, but they did do battle with Thor. Most likely, I am guessing, they are not one in the same.
Thor 2: The Dark World hammers into theaters November 8th, 2013 directed by Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones), starring Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Anthony Hopkins as Odin, Idris Elba as Heimidall, Zachary Levi as Fandral and Jaimie Alexander as Sif, Christopher Eccleston as Malekith the Accursed, Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Kurse.
Head on over to the Cosmic Book News Thor movie hub for images, news and more.
Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World continues the big-screen adventures of Thor, the Mighty Avenger, as he battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself. In the aftermath of Marvel’s Thor and Marvel’s The Avengers, Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos…but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness. Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.